Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Oh My! Scalloped Potatoes

Potatoes are my favorite food. They always have been and probably always will be. In any way you can make them, I love them. I don't make them very often because Matthew doesn't share my passion for them. The kids can take or leave them (to the point that I question their maternity) but every now and then, I sneak a potato dish onto the menu and cross my fingers. Last night I made homemade scalloped potatoes and everyone loved them! They were easy and made enough for us to eat two nights in a row (based on the spoonful of leftover cold potatoes I just sampled from the fridge, I think they are going to be just as good the second go 'round). Here is how you make them:
 slice 2 very large potatoes (or 4 regular sized ones) very thinkly and layer in a 13x9 inch dish that you have lightly greased
 salt and pepper them
 make a basic cheese sauce
(melt 2 tbsp butter and whisk in 2 tbsp flour. cook 2 minutes. add 2 cups of milk. whisk and cook until thickened. add two cups cheddar cheese and stir until melted. you can add a pinch of nutmeg and a squirt of dijon if the spirit moves you).

pour a laddle full of the cheese sauce over your first layer of potatoes.
 add another layer of potatoes and salt and pepper them too
 finish with another laddle or two of the cheese sauce and pop into a 350 degree oven. After about 45 minutes, cover with foil if they are brown. Total cook time will be about an hour and a half or until your potatoes are tender. 
they will be cheesy and brown and bubbly
whoa!

No comments:

Post a Comment